Updated September 22, 2021
Masturbation is a form of sexual expression. It is natural and healthy under normal circumstances because it helps you discover what you like sexually and relieve stress or anxiety. However, masturbation can quickly turn into a compulsive disorder and impact your life negatively. You should be able to identify the warning signs of masturbation addiction, what caused it, its effects, and how to stop it. So, how to stop masturbating when it is alrady a form of addiction?
What Causes Masturbation Addiction?
There are various causes of masturbation addiction. You will be able to find a suitable long-term solution once you identify the root cause of your addiction. Some common causes of masturbation addiction include:
- Personal inadequacy.
- High sexual drive.
- Drug abuse.
- Relationship problems.
- Sexual fantasies.
- Low self-esteem.
- Cultural and religious conflicts.
- Poor sexual communication.
- Restrictive view on sex.
What Are the Warning Signs of Masturbation Addiction?
The warning signs indicate that your masturbation has turned into an addiction and that you need help. They include:
- Inability to resist the compulsion to fulfill masturbation urges.
- Difficulties forming relationships.
- Avoiding social functions, work, or school to masturbate.
- Setting your plans depending on when you want to masturbate.
- Masturbating every time you feel nervous, frightened, upset, or anxious.
It is important to heed these warning signs to avoid a more significant impact on its side effects.
What Are the Side Effects of Masturbation?
Normal masturbation has no side effects. However, compulsive and vigorous masturbation could cause the following side effects:
- Feelings of Shame or Guilt: Some people experience shame or guilt. These negative emotions come, especially when it is a cultural or religious norm. Furthermore, you may feel guilty for doing it behind your partner’s back.
- Skin Irritation: Vigorous masturbation may cause mild skin irritation or chaffing. The irritation ceases after a few days.
- Edema: Males who maintain a tight grip on their penis during masturbation may suffer from mild swelling or edema.
How To Stop Masturbating?
There are measures you can take to help you overcome masturbation addiction. They include:
1. Abstain From the Use of Pornography: Pornography addiction and masturbation addiction occur together almost always. Electronic devices make it very easy to access porn. You need to avoid all pornographic images, clips, websites, or any other material. When it comes to electronic devices, you should use filters to limit your access to pornographic content.
However, it is still easy to unblock the filters and pornographic contents. Thus, it would help if you either used a password you can’t remember or get busy with other things to ease the urges.
2. Exercise: Exercise enables you to focus your energy positively and lower your tension. Try various physical activities such as swimming, running, weight-lifting, or any other physical exercise.
Exercises will help release your endorphins, which make you feel more relaxed and happier. Moreover, it will reduce the temptations and urges to masturbate.
3. Stay Active: Apart from exercise, you should also engage in other activities to occupy time and mind. Ensure that these activities enhance growth and do not trigger the urge to masturbate. These activities will act as an outlet for your energy and alternative ways to ease your anxiety or stress.
Try to find a new hobby, learn a new skill, try a new sport, and more. You should also develop new goals to occupy your time and create excitement.
4. Spend More Time With Others: Loneliness is one of the causes of masturbation. You will remove an opportunity to masturbate when you choose to spend time with others. Social engagement helps to redirect your focus. You can also join a support group made up of people facing the same challenges and goals. You may need someone to talk to, and you may not be comfortable telling friends or family.
5. Get Professional Help: Some professionals are experts in human sexuality. It is essential to reach out to them whenever you detect any or multiple warning signs. Furthermore, mental health experts will help you layout behavior modification strategies and address underlying issues or negative feelings.
You can also get helpful resources from therapists, counselors, or the American Association of Sexuality Advisors.
Get Help for Addiction and Co-Occurring Disorders at NOVO Detox
NOVO Detox is a detox and rehab facility in Los Angeles, California. We are a facility that offers comprehensive treatment through professional expertise, proven medication, holistic therapies, cutting edge science, and efficiency. Our main priorities are your safety, comfort, and nourishment as a NOVO Detox patient.
Each of our patients receives a personalized detox and care. Our professionals will administer various tests to ensure they deliver services that are flexible to your needs. The tests include toxicology tests, pharmacogenetic tests, social & psychological assessment, physical and history exams.
Furthermore, our detox methods rely on bio-genetic tests to determine the most effective medication and dosage to help you achieve long term sobriety. We address various substance addictions like heroin or opioids, and mental health issues such as masturbation addiction, bipolar disorder, and more.
Drug & Alcohol Detox at NOVO Detox in Los Angeles, California
NOVO Detox is a 24/7 medical detox and residential rehab center in Los Angeles, California. We have state-of-the-art facilities, proven detox medication, holistic therapies, and a staff with over four decades of experience. Our main priority is to provide medical safety, nourishment, and comfort to our patients during their detox and treatment.
Furthermore, we offer a comprehensive treatment that is personalized and flexible to your needs and how they change throughout your stay. We form the basis for customized care through tests like the physical & history assessment, social & psychological assessment, toxicology testing, and pharmacogenetic testing. Board-certified doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, and nurses will conduct comprehensive testing upon your arrival to ensure your comfort, safety, and support.
We will use your test results to deliver an enhanced detox method. Our method uses your DNA to identify the most effective and safest drugs and dosages. The detox will depend on how your body metabolizes the medication. Our comprehensive tests and treatment ensure you get a successful withdrawal and maintain sobriety for the long term.
Contact us for comprehensive detox and treatment services for all substances, including alcohol, heroin, prescription drugs, and more. We also address co-occurring mental disorders like bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder, depression,codependency, and more.
Masturbation is natural and healthy. Normal masturbation helps to discover what you like sexually and even relieve stress. However, too much of it can cause masturbation addiction and various adverse effects.
Various factors cause masturbation addiction. They include loneliness, low self-esteem, relationship problems, sexual fantasies, and more. You should try and control your masturbation habits and look out for the warning signs.examples of these warning signs include: compulsive urge to masturbate, skipping work or social engagement, difficulty forming relationships, and more.
Some side effects of masturbation addiction include feelings of shame or guilt, edema, skin irritation, and more. It would help if you immediately tried to stop masturbation whenever you identify the warning signs.
Some of the steps you can take include abstinence from pornographic material, exercise, stay active, increase social engagement, get professional help, and more. You can get professional help for masturbation addiction from NOVO Detox. We also help you overcome causes like drug abuse through detox and rehab services.
Contact us now to get comprehensive and individualized care, medical safety, nourishment, and comfort.